Friday, February 15, 2013

Salt Dough Tutorial


For me this didn't cost a penny, but it was a little tricky.  My plan was to make a thumbprint pendant, and here's what I cam up with:


You need a medium sized mixing bowl, measuring cup, 2 cups of flower, 1 cup of salt, and about 3/4 cup of water.



Pour the flower and salt into the bowl,


Then add water.  Mix and kneed until the consistency is like play dough.


It should look something like this.  You can also add food coloring if you want it a certain color.


As you can see, I've tried numerous times trying to get a thumbprint.  It was really hard seeing the lines, so I lost hope.  :(


Let's hope this one will work!  I added a ring on the top to make it a necklace.


So, since I had so much left over, I made a bunch of random stuff.  Bake in the oven at 250 degrees for about 2 hours (maybe more).




Once baked, I decided to use gold spray paint on them.  It brings out the lines in the thumbprints a lot more, heres some close ups:


Jamie's thumbprint on the left, mine on the right.  :D


The pendant turned out alright, but the ring on the top was too small for the necklace :( 
Oh well!


Other imprints



So if you're making a thumbprint out of this, don't get your hopes up about the details, because spray paint will really help (especially metallic spray paint.)


























No comments:

Post a Comment