Sunday, July 13, 2014

Woodcock Trail Adventure

Yesterday I ran at Woodcock Dam / Park.

I have never ran here before.  All I knew was that there was park...and a dam of course.  My original plan was to do 6 laps around the Park (10 miles).  I parked by the dam and realized it was a pretty neat view.  So I threw out my plan and started at the dam, having no idea what would be ahead.




It was at least 80 degrees, but the view helped forget that.
So off I went, having no idea where I was headed.  It seemed like a lot of people started with the dam but I didn't see them coming back around, so there has to be something on the other side right?


Yes.






So I continued onto this trail, and the view just kept getting better!





FINALLY ENTERING SHADE.





After a while being on this trail, I was suddenly at the entrance of the Woodcock park. 

I turned left onto a road and kept going.  Once I saw the dam on the distance to my left, I started to get an idea of where I was, and was heading to 198. 


On 198, with the shaded trail in the distance.

The road was tough.  Was a long stretch of harsh sun. And when I saw the dam (where I started), I thought I was dreaming.


I was now starting my second loop.


To give you an idea, this is what the loop looked like.
(Dam on far left, shaded trail in green, etc.)



From that moment on, I started to feel pretty drained.  If you know me, you know that I'm a camel when it comes to drinking water.  I was so excited to run there, that I didn't drink as much as I should've beforehand.  I pass the dam, the trail, and entered the shaded trail again. 

This was when things got worse.  My temperature dropped from the shade, I was seeing spots, getting cramps, and feeling vertigo. I shrugged it off and kept going. Then the spells kept coming back.  As much as I wanted to keep going and do 2 full loops, I was getting dehydrated and needed to turn around.

I returned to the dam and the sun didn't help.  Numerous times I had to pause and crouch down.  I could see my car parked, sizzling in the distance.  I was very close in passing out.

I finally made it to the parking lot and plummeted into a shaded area of grass, and dazed at the branches above me.  But I had to get water.  I drunkenly got up and saw a lone water fountain by the parking lot, so I straggled over and was able to recoup.  My goal was to do 10 miles, and I believe I did about 9, which I'm very content with. 


So take it from me, 
DRINK
WATER!

That concludes my adventure.  I was fun, brutal, but rewarding.  From here on out I'm running light and resting until the race. . . in ONE week!















No comments:

Post a Comment